Sperm Whale Marine Turtle Gil Net Rescue A Success!!

Sperm Whale Marine Turtle Gil Net Rescue A Success!!

Here is a link to the video on our sister site Worlds Aquarium http://worldsaquarium.com/blog/female-sperm-whale-calf-rescueContinue Reading

20 Responses to Sperm Whale Marine Turtle Gil Net Rescue A Success!!

1. David says:

Great Job Vince!, its nice to have people like you guys down here in San Carlos, you set a great example!

2. Felicidades Vince! John! JD, Andre and all the rest of the team! you guys look tired yesterday but like real heroes you guys rocked it!!! congrats!!! to all!..

3. Awesome job guys! I’m so glad that it was found and freed. I was pained yesterday going in and thinking that it would continue to drift around and be slowly tortured like the one ten years ago. That poor mother had dragged her dead baby around for over a week and was trapped for another. We weren’t able to free that one the first day and it was never found again. I can’t believe they still have drift nets here. Great rescue and let’s hope that this event can help bring about some change.

4. Hielo says:

That does it. My day winds down in perfect fashion.

I thought about those trapped animals and their rescuers at least a 100 times.

Thanks folks!

5. Aaron P says:

Way to go! Chalk this one up in the “success” category…definitely puts a smile on my face…

6. Under Thanks Again everyone!!! That is my family. The very top picture, listed left to right is: Jeff Hilliker (my dad :)), Richie Hilliker with the visor (cousin), and my Uncle Bill Hilliker. Bill and Jeff are from Arizona and Richie (middle) is from Washington. I am so proud of them :)

7. Freaking awesome!!!!

8. well done to the entire team who made this fantastic rescue mission possible – god bless

9. Jody Wheeler says:

Hot damn y’all! Thank you for stepping up to help :)

10. Connie says:

Vidal Rica! That boat will always live up to that name. Gracias to all involved. Vince you are #1 in my good guys of San Carlos Book.

11. Ahhhh I got the line up wrong. First picture from left to right is Jeff Hilliker (my dad), middle is Bill Hilliker (uncle) and fare right is Richie Hilliker (cousin). This is in regards to the first picture under Thanks Again everyone!!! So proud of you guys :)

12. LLBLA says:

This made my day. Thanks so much for stepping up. I too hope that this might be yet another reason for change on drift nets etc. A job well done.

13. I’m Rich Hilliker’s mother-in-law and I just wanted to say how proud I am of you, Rich, and your dad, uncle, and cousin!! Wow! That is so wonderful and amazing. I can’t wait until you get home so we can hear all about this wonderful story!!

14. Just to let everyone know on June 18th we saw a Sperm Whale on its side along the surface. It was a 1/2 mile from the inlet to the harbor at San Carlos. We were going out to San Pedro Island for some diving. It was moving but not much. Does anyone know if it is okay. I have video if anyone needs it.
    Any info would be appreciated.

15. Vince says:

How close did you get to the animal? I am in Cabo San Lucas at the moment but did you see anything trailing off the whale like a net or lines?

16. We were within a few feet of it. I did not see anything around the tail. I can send you the video tonight. Let me know if you get any more information.
    Thanks

17. Here is a link to the footage shot of a Sperm Whale that was about 1/2 mile out from the San Carlos Harbor. Could not see anything around the tail. No wounds present either. If anyone has any information as to whether it died or if it made it we would be very grateful.

18. Vince says:

Just checked out the footage and that whale looks to be dead in the video, did you observe the whale breathing at all? I would suspect if it was not dead when you shot the footage, it died very soon afterwords. I will forward the footage to a friend of mine who is whale scientist. Kind of disturbing to see one dying just a few days after we saved a few. thanks for sharing that!

19. We did not see it take a breath but there was some tail movement. It did seem to have some life in it but like I said, not much. There were no apparent wounds or any kind of blood or oil slick in the water. We were not sure what it was doing. There did not appear to be anything wrapped around the whale at any point on his body. That is why I was checking to see if maybe it had beached or if someone saw it swim off. We were hoping for the best. Please keep us informed of anything you find out. Thanks